1/30/11 Holy BullG3 – Gulfstream Park 1 mile on the dirt
The first major Derby prep at Gulfstream Park which will set up as a prep race for the Florida DerbyG1 on April 3rd the last stop in Florida on the way to Louisville. Last year Winslow Homer won this race but fell off the derby trail with a cannon bone injury. Last year did see two eventual Derby starters in Jackson Bend(12th) and Homeboykris(16).
Boys at Toscanova– Currently sits #2 in my power rankings continues to run in graded stakes races and will show if he belongs at the top or will play second fiddle to Uncle Mo leading up to the derby. Has been training well at Gulfstream and is prime to run a big race.
Will look to push the pace coming out of the gate and should stalk the leaders early(most likely will include Mucho Macho Man). Will not enter race
Mucho Macho Man- Sits just outside the top 5 and will land on the top 10 once this race concludes. Has ran second to To Honor and Serve(#4) the last two times out and catches a break from him but now must challenge Boys and others.Has trained well here at GP since being shipped to Florida.
Will likely push the pace early and see if anyone can catch him.
Gourmet Dinner- Ran into a wall of tough competitors in the Cash Call Futurity in December at Hollywood Park after a win in the Delta Downs Jackpot. Was passed by two late (JP’s Gusto and Clubhouse ride) and will see if he belongs on the derby trail.
Would benefit from a fast early pace and looks to pick off horses late and would need to stay away from going 4 wide again as well as other traffic problems. Would give exotic honors but would need a perfect trip to win.
Black N Beauty- This Zayat Stable and Dale Romans trained colt won a allowance race here in early January and looks to make a big step up here. Jockey Kent Desormeaux looks to be aboard again looking to take the lead early.
Looks to be up front with Boys and Mucho pushing a hard opening pace.
Post Position and Analysis-
1. Gourmet Dinner– Looking to get back onto dirt after his lack luster performance on the synthetic track at Hollywood in the Cash Call Futurity. This horse currently sits # in graded earnings with $660,000 which locks this horse to make a start in the Derby.
2. Major Gain– A stalking closer like Gourmet Dinner looking for first win on dirt after racing well on the plastic track. Fluctuating speed figures have me worried.
3. Printing Press– This stalking colt out of Tapit has raced most of his career on the Jersey Shore at Monmouth park winning 1 out of 4 races there. Ran here Jan 7 finnishing second to Black N Beauty. Seems to be beaten up by better every time out and would need a perfect trip and a few scratches to take.
4. Black N Beauty- Ran a monster of a race gate to wire here on Jan 7 beating Printing Press by 2 1/2 lenghts with Kent Desoumeaux. This is a race that will show if this colt belongs in stakes competition and feel I feel that this colt will have a huge showing and get right on the Derby Trail.
5. Ribo Bobo– Another horse in the race that like to set back in the pack waiting to fire at the 1/4 pole. Seems to be lacking in class which is evident by loosing to Manicaro the last two times out and Astrology at Churchill Downs in October.
6. Leave of Absence– Lightly raced as a 2 year old finnished 2nd here at Gulfstream on Jan 8th in the Spectacular Bird Stakes. Raj Maragh will be back aboard and will be interested to see if he sends Leave of Absence to the front like he did at Aquduct or take him to the back of the pack last time out here at Gulfsteam. For this horse to contend I would like him to be on the front as there seems to be little in the way of pace,however, strectching out to this mile distance may seem difficult.
7. Mucho Macho Man– Likely to be the morning line favorite and on the pace early. Let just off my top 5 power rankings will look to show he deserves higher. Looks like the one to beat. In great form with 2 bullet works at GP since arriving in January.
8.Sweet Ducky– Turns back to his prefered distance where he went 2 for 2 at Monmouth. Seems to like the mid pack position hoping to pick off weaker runners late. Has been training very well in 2011 with 2 bullets at 5 furlongs. May close out exotics.
9. Dialed In– Broke maiden last time out(msw) in only career start back in November at Churchill Downs. Seems to be getting bigger and better as time oes by may not be the best horse now but come May could be a monster. I will call him a closer since that is the only data I can draw on him.