1. Uncle Mo- Undefeated winner of the ’10 Breeders Cup Juvenile @ CD is on his way to an Eclipse award for the 2 yr old males. Trained by Todd Pletcher, winner of the 2010 Derby with Super Saver, this colt has been shipped to Florida to train with his sights on the Tampa Bay Derby March 12th. This is the route that Pletcher took last year with Super Saver (3rd) to kick off this horse’s 3 yr old season and this would seem logical to do once again. Uncle Mo has been under jockey John R. Velazquez who has long been a preferred race rider for Pletcher who trained horses (Devil may Care ’10 Kentucky Derby) and I don’t see anyone else aboard for the first Saturday in May.
Last Race: Breeders Cup Juvenile-G1
Next potential race: Tampa Bay Derby-G3 (1 1/16m) 3/12/11 Wood Memorial-G1 Aqueduct (1 1/8m) 4/9/11
2. Boys at Tosconova seemed to have all the pub leading into Breeders Cup day. This horse has run well at CD twice now where he finished second in both his debut race in the Kentucky Juvenile-G3 as well as the Breeders Cup Juvenile. This horse seems to get better the longer the race so I feel the Derby Distance could work out well for this colt. Looking towards the Derby, this horse has the ability to win from an outside post as that seems to the the position he strikes from. Boys is trained by Rick Dutrow, winner of the 2008 Derby with Big Brown, and has had Ramon A. Dominguez in the irons every start since the 2nd place finish in the Kentucky Juvenile. Looks like Boys will show that he deserves to be in the top echelon of 3yr olds if entered in the Holy Bull G3 at Gulfstream Park on January 30th. This is still not the distance to best suit this horse, but it could be a good prep for his future races.
Last race: Breeders Cup Juvenile-G1 Next potential race: Holy Bull-G3(1m) 1/30/11
3. Tapizar- How can I not put a horse who’s won his last two races including the first graded stakes race of the year in the Sham StakesG3 at Santa Anita on January 15th. Tapizar dominated this light field of 5, winning nearly gate to wire which is impressive. These two wins were run at t 1 1/16 mile as a 2yr old and young 3yr old. This horse may possess the tactical speed to win the Derby, but must show the public this against tougher in his prep races up to the Derby. May be the horse to beat out west or just a California dreamer.
Last race: Sham Stakes(1 1/16 mile) 1/15/11
Next potential race: Robert B. Lewis StakesG2(SA) 2/12/11 San FelipeG2(SA) 3/12/11
4. To Honor and Serve- This Bernardini colt as a 2 year old, has won 3 of 4 starts finishing second his his debut loosing to Astrology across the 3 big New York tracks. Has run against very tough competition beating potential Derby starter Mucho Macho Man the last two times out and may be considering running in the Fountain of YouthG2 at Gulfstream Park February 16. Has a strong running style and has a shot at winning Bill Mott his first Derby. The biggest question is who would ride this horse in the Derby as John Velasquez will be aboard Uncle Mo. Is this be the colt that Calvin Borel would get aboard on a quest for 3 in a row.
Last race: RemsenG2 (AQU 1 1/8m) Next potential race: Fountain of Youth G2 (GP) 2/26/11
5. Jaycito- Hard to ignore the connections here and has ran against Derby quality horses its whole life. Have to throw out his disastrous last race in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, as bad as it may sound he ran well at the end to get up for 7th. Nice long strides loves to sit in the stalking position.
Last race: Breeders Cup Juvenile-G1 Next potential race: Robert B. Lewis Stakes G2 2/12/11
Also receiving votes- Mucho Macho Man, J P’s Gusto, Soldat, Astrology
Rankings will be updated next Sunday after the running of the Holy Bull next Sunday 1/30/ The rankings will be expanded once more stakes races have been completed.